International Waffle Day
Every food lover knows that 25 March every year is international Waffle Day. Typically Swedish, this special day is gradually becoming popular in Belgium. Which is logical, since the waffle is a famous worldwide as a Belgian delicacy.
Enjoy the occasion to discover the delicious world of the waffle. Taste the Belgian waffle from Brussels or Liège, dusted with icing sugar and/or covered in cream.
And in case you'd like to make some Brussels waffles, here is the recipe:
- 250 g flour
- 100 g melted butter
- 15 g baker’s yeast
- 3 eggs
- 375 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Mix the yeast with the sugar in a small amount of warm milk.
- Separate the egg whites and beat them until stiff.
- Place the flour in a bowl, make a well and add the rest of the warm milk. Mix well.
- Add the egg yolks, the melted butter and yeast then carefully fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Cover and leave to rise for 45 minutes then cook on a waffle iron.
For extra taste, you can add a split vanilla pod to the milk or even fine lemon zest in the waffle iron for a fruity flavour. Before serving, sprinkle with icing sugar, or even better, brown sugar.